Frequently Asked Questions

How can we contact you?

In an emergency, call 911. This is the fastest and most effective way to get emergency services to you and to identify your location. Most fire stations are on San Juan Island are not staffed; the station at 1011 Mullis has staff during certain hours for part of the week but those staff members may be out on another call or working on outlying equipment.

If for some reason you cannot use 911, each fire station has a call box to reach dispatch.

For non-emergency contacts only, our administrative office can be reached at (360) 378-5334.

How can we get burn permits?

Please see the Fire Marshal’s page on burn permits.

Are outdoor burns legal?

Current burn ban status can be found at the Fire Marshal’s website.

What services do you provide?

Within our district boundaries, we provide all-hazard emergency response including structural and wildland firefighting, search and rescue operations, HAZMAT response, vehicle extrication, and other emergencies. We work with San Juan Island EMS, the San Juan County’s sheriff’s department, and other agencies. Many of our members are dual trained firefighters and EMTs.

We provide fire protection to San Juan County’s non-ferry served islands via a contract with Washington State Department of Natural Resources(DNR).  SJI Fire and Rescue also participates in the Statewide Mobilization Plan and provides mutual aid to neighboring fire districts.

Department of Licensing Hours

Note: DOL use of the fire station has been temporarily suspended as a precaution during the COVID-19 outbreak. – Updated 3-19-2020

For DOL questions and information, please call: DOL Anacortes: 360-588-8039 (office) or 360-588-0508 (message); or DOL Mt. Vernon: 360-416-7564.
The Friday Harbor Travel Unit 2020 hours are on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday Monthly at the Mullis St. Fire Station, from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
No written or driving tests are available at this location.

Where can I find information about board meetings?

Agendas and minutes can be found on the Board of Commissioners page.